Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Easy - Tammara Webber update: Wow. Totally yummy, even the second time around.

update: I really, really want to re-read this soon.

first read: June 18, 2012 / second read: August 1, 2013

When I picked up this book, I'm not sure what I expected--a crazed emo stalker maybe, a very intelligent, blond-haired, glasses-wearing tutor, & the girl to be ... well, a regular girl. But what I didn't expect was to start off the book with a rape scene.

The scene happens and then a guy saves her. She then has a flashback about maybe one or two pages of two weeks before, when her "depression" over her ex-boyfriend happens. This type of scene change/going in retrospect happens a lot in the novel, and sometimes I have to pay close attention to the verb shifts. I'm not sure why the author decided to frame her story this way, especially since I think it would've worked out from starting the book at the two weeks ago mark. But perhaps she wanted readers engaged? I would say I definitely was.

There are a lot of sexual situations, so I would say that this book should be for later teens and older.

Despite all the heartpumping, steaming romance, the thing that really got me to like this book was how the main problems were about countering an assault and protecting yourself from rape. I especially loved this quote:

"You know what looks bad?" Katie cut off her VP. "A bunch of women who don't support each other when a guy pulls some shit like this. I'm sick of it. Less than an hour ago, I told D.J. where he could stick his goddamned fraternal reputation." She stood up and leaned forward, her hands on the table. "Let me tell you girls a story, short and sweet. In high school, I was a junior varsity cheerleader dating a senior who was up for football scholarships. I'd slept with him several times, willingly. One night I wasn't in the mood, but he was. So he held me down and forced me. The few people I told about it--including my best friend--pointed out what would happen to him if I told. They stressed the fact that I hadn't been a virgin, that we were dating, that we'd had sex before. So I kept quiet. I never even told my mother. That boy put bruises on my body. I was crying and begging him to stop but he didn't. That's called rape, ladies."

Most girls find that if they'd had sex before with their boyfriends, willingly, that the one time he forces you while you keep saying no doesn't count as rape. It does.

rape n. - The crime, committed by a man another, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with him, especially by the threat or use of violence.

When reading a book, most of the time the author incorporates his/her ideas within the novel. Webber told her views strongly about any sort of emotional trauma. There many things I could find within the novel; one that I found was implied strongly: "Not. Your. Fault."

When a person is faced with a calamity that he or she couldn't prevent, they have a tendency to take the blame upon oneself wrongly, instead of applying it to who did the crime. I think there were a lot of meaningful messages like this throughout this novel, messages that showed that the victim is never at fault, or that you shouldn't feel pressured to testify your case, no matter what anyone says.