Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
The Way We Fall - Megan Crewe This book wasn't necessarily bad. I read some reviews previously to see if this book were my type of book or if I would be just wasting my time. Some things could've been better, maybe more so than other books, but overall, it was a nice read for a few days.

The thing that really got be into this was the blurb:

It starts with an itch you just can’t shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you’ll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you’re dead.

I guess there's always a scientific part of me that always looks at if this is probable or not. There was a bit of foreshadowing about this virus, that the people who first caught on to it worked near the waters of the island. So then I thought, 'Hey, maybe we'll get some insight scientific information on this disease!' We didn't. It didn't stray much near that path, actually. Not many books do. It leaned more towards survival, which, I completely understand since who wouldn't want to not survive a virus and end up dead?

The book goes on in a very slow start. Yes, Crewe introduces characters and builds up their personalities through Kaelyn's journal entries. But even so, when Kaelyn's cared ones die around her, I couldn't feel myself feel sorry for her much. I guess maybe because they're not the main characters in the story and are absent throughout? Or maybe Crewe just didn't catch my attention with her characters? I don't know. I really don't. But I do know that when Kaelyn's parents love ones died around her, I didn't feel any commiseration, any sympathy. It was obviously sad, of course, and I loved the way Kae expressed her grief and yet still managed to think, "I've got to move on."

Kaelyn is a better heroine than most I've read about. I never once found myself getting annoyed by her. She was strong and cared for her friends. I'm not sure how to describe her, actually. She's great and kind of awkward when it comes to socializing, but that's a problem I think might be present in majority of teens.

I also don't know what to say about the journal entries. I think since the journal entries were all directed towards "Leo,"Crewe wanted to somehow create a mutual understanding between their relationship (referring to Kaeylyn and Leo) without introducing the character to us just yet. But, really, I think Crewe could've pulled it off even without the journal entries as our story. I'm actually not really found of diaries telling stories because the ones I've read can't really pull it off. And I just flat-out don't like the style. But Crewe managed to spark my interest.

Despite all this, the action just wasn't there. I had to pause sometimes and think about which parts were the main events and which were just little straits leading to them. The first hundred pages are actually pretty boring because of Crewe's slow introduction and the remaining pages aren't really much different, except that they go into the story a little more. But really, I liked the story. And I've heard the next book won't be in diary entries since it's a bit more action-packed. I'll be reading the next book. :)

3.5/5