Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
The Dark Divine - Bree Despain I read this book so long ago. Maybe it's even been two years; and in those two years I didn't have time (well, more like had ups-and-downs on my reading excitement) to read the other two books to this series. When I first read it, I remember being a Twilight fanatic; I was completely and totally obsessed with Edward and Bella and Jacob and everyone in that series. This is similarly to how I felt about The Dark Divine -- I found it just amazing.

When I read Twilight the first time, I had failed to realize the fallacies that had been presented in Stephenie Meyer's books such as how vampires sparkle -- if you ask me, it seems like a nice excuse for "burning in the sun"; and I really don't like last-minute excuses, as if the author couldn't find anything better. Or how Bella's character was so totally completely obsessed around Edward, especially in New Moon. Or how she strung along Jacob for some time before she finally gave him a total shut-down. Anyway, I should probably get back to the topic at hand.

The Dark Divine was similar to this. I had been completely absorbed in the book, and not in the good way, but the way that makes you realize you've been naive to problems that were presented throughout the book. So, when I decided to read The Lost Saint, the next book in the series, I had realized that I completely forgot what happened in the first book. So I reread it.

This is where the actual review starts.

Grace Divine, our protagonist, is the preacher's daughter. She's good enough, as a heroine -- definitely not the best I've encountered, but dependable and strong(ish), not like the whiny heroines I've seemed to come across in -- lately -- all the books I read. -___- So when I read I was mildly glad that I hadn't been wrong about Grace; that it hadn't been my naive, dimwitted mind that conjured up this image of this heroine when in reality she was an ... ignorant buttbrain. But still, Grace had her moments, and though I know all heroines have them, it still makes me want to slice their heads off and throw it against the wall. I have no patience for people like that, especially if it is towards the end of the book where the character has changed and developed from what she/he first was.

Anyway, it may have been me, but I didn't find the romance compelling. Actually, I would've probably liked the book better if it hadn't been a romantic novel. Or perhaps if the romance developed much slower, but then the novel wouldn't have had the ended it had ... /wiggles eyebrows suggestively

Did I mention that the "cure" for lycanthropy in this novel is probably the most beautiful, thought-out, realistic, tragic way to actually do it? I'm amazed. I wonder if Bree Despain did research or if she had come up with this on her own. Either way, I applaud her for that. Much better than any of the other "cures" I've seen in werewolf novels. Not that I've read any.

I read this book back in March, but it definitely went to what I called a five star to a three star. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it because I had already read the novel and expected a few scenes, but no one memorizes the words so infallibly -- and that's what I find so great about rereading books. The scenes play out in your mind, but the diction, the voice the author uses is what, I think, we fail to remember.

Nonetheless, The Dark Divine is a three.