Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
The Last Song - Nicholas Sparks Nicholas Sparks’s books aren’t exactly my cup-of-tea. His writing style, also, doesn’t appeal to me, even though it’s a very normal one amongst authors: nothing too special and yet nothing too boring.

There are some deals I don’t like about Nicholas Sparks. One of them is the way he uses cancer as a way to get rid of his characters in a sad, tragic way. I’m aware that yes, cancer is bad, but the disease in stories seems overused. Everywhere I turn to read a sad adult contemporary, I’m always stuck with “cancer” as an excuse. Is there nothing more tragic than that, something other than a disease? Someone in a coma, maybe? Someone with a mental dysfunctionality? There are so many other ways that an author can prove a person to be ill, and it doesn’t have to involve cancer.

I’ve only read one of Nicholas Sparks’s novels (The Last Song), but I’ve watched two of his movies (A Walk to Remember and The Notebook). In A Walk to Remember, we’re also stuck with one of the main characters ill with leukemia, and despite the fact that the way that TLS and AWTR differs, the point I’m trying to make is that SPARKS KILLS OFF HIS CHARACTERS WITH CANCER. So I would say that it definitely seems overused. I don’t like it, not even after reading/watching two literature texts.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that using cancer as a way to kill off any character seems exaggerated. I know the author probably doesn’t intend to do so, but every time I read a book—especially Nicholas Sparks’s—I feel as if the ‘killing off with cancer’ idea is used to make a mockery of the situation. I know, it doesn’t make sense. But here’s the way that my twisted mind is interpreting it: Authors use this tactic to bring sadness and emotion to the reader, correct? And to provide overwhelming sadness to the point of crying—when most of the readers don’t even know how it feels to loose someone to cancer, myself included—might be the way the reader marks the book as a 4- or 5-star because of the emotion the author’s words manages to bring forth. It’s just—I don’t know.

Anyway, that was the main part about why I didn’t like the novel. There were also other things such as I didn’t like the protagonist, Ronnie; she was far too annoying and bitchy for me, and the romance seemed underdeveloped. The whole situation just didn’t seem to be believable.

This is will probably be my first and last read by Nicholas Sparks.