Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
The Story of Us - Deb Caletti The thing with this book is that it is not a romantic contemporary. I find that offensive that it's even included into this category, because that's not the plot at all. It should be included into the 'Thought Provoking' category of literature.

This is my first time reading Caletti's works. One thing I've found is that she doesn't focus on romance, and though I was disappointed in this at first, I found that perhaps that's what all contemporaries have as their "cover." There are morals, deep and thoughtful, underneath all those romantic/sappy scenes. And the thing is, when we read, we don't realize it while we only look for those fluttering feelings we encounter when our heroine flirts/kisses/admits her love interest.

So with that said, I would like to say that The Story of Us is a story of a girl, Cricket, who's very afraid to grow up, to change. And this is a problem, I think, that is found in most of us, though we're afraid to admit it, and we don't even realize it. We're all excited before this big change, before finally going off to college, and then when the day comes, you realize that it's finally here. That you really are changing, are growing, are moving away from the story, from the people that made you who you are.

These are the conflicting emotions inside Cricket. Her mother's getting married again, and while she's on a temporary break from her boyfriend Janssen, she takes this prepping work before the wedding to think about her actions, of how she broke her boyfriend's heart. Throughout this novel, she's exchanging emails to Janssen, and all this while I'm thinking, What exactly did she do to break his heart so bad? and while we find out the answer, it's not something I was expecting. And I think, She's so careless.

But the best thing about it is that she's absolutely tormented over she's done, and she apologizes again and again. Though some heroines do things and they're just ... done with it, this is not Cricket. She tries to tell herself what she has to do, what she's bound to, but as much as she does, she realizes that that's not at all what she wants to do. She doesn't even know if she's ready enough to return back to Janssen, because she's afraid of commitment -- a life-long forever.

The saddest part because of this book is her love for her dog, Jupiter. And though that's what this book is about, that's what she discusses with Janssen about -- dogs -- there are so morals I've learned about those creatures. (I don't have one, so idk.) They are with you through so much, and while it's just a one-way conversation, dogs are definitely capable of loving and caring and hoping, just like any other human. They don't do much, but you end up coming home from school to see your pet, to play with them, and without knowing it, you've accepted them into your family. That's what dogs are and can be: family.

The ending to this book is not a happy one. I cried over the ending, because it is not your average happy-sappy romance contemporary: it's painstakingly real and deep; both thoughtful and intellectual. There is growth in Cricket, though very little. But she's definitely trying to overcome the biggest, most troublesome fear she has ever encountered: the change of forever.

3/5