Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Bunheads - Sophie Flack Let me say one thing: I admire that Sophie Flack decided to show the life of a ballerina (or, per say, her life as a ballerina) in this novel. That's really respectful. I've searched her up -- would you believe me if I said that I haven't heard of her before? -- and read some of her interviews and watched some of her plays on YouTube. She's amazing. Really good.

But this book just wasn't for me.

I don't know if it was the play/ballerina terms in the novel (though I had no idea what they meant, needless to say), or if it was just that I couldn't stand another second of reading this. The book wasn't exactly horrible, but definitely enough to not catch my attention.

Hannah Ward has been involved in ballet since she was a child. But as she ventures outside her world, she meets Jacob, and begins to question if the very thing she has dedicated her whole being to is worth the cost of something so very important: her life.

I haven't actually thought if I was interested in ballet or not -- I certainly don't have the body for it, haha. But it's a beautiful thing to watch and explore, except that I have a problem for its stereotypicalness. I suppose ballet's exact art requires the ballerinas to be model stick-thin and have an extremely flat chest. But I don't like it; I don't like how it's modeled by a specific "shape" a woman should have to get into the business. If she wants to be, she could join with her own body, whatever it is. I also suppose I could look back on the history of ballerina to find out most of it and how this specific body came to be, but to be frank, I'm not that interested, haha.

Anyway, I followed Hannah's journey to at least 43% of the novel. So not even half. But it's enough to see where the story was headed, but I was completely bored by it. The only reason I picked it up was because of a nagging sensation in the back of my mind that whispered finish it, finish it, finish it.

Hannah's narration and her character are not that bad, especially since I think it reflects on the author's own personality traits. She's a bit of a gossiper, but that's okay because I do it too because everyone have their faults somewhere. The thing is, I just sort of felt disconnected from the story a bit. I can't explain it, but it wasn't with the characters or exposition, more with the way the author played out her setting and timings. They just didn't work for me.

Nonetheless, it may be for some, but this book just didn't appeal to me.

dnf.