Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
The Pledge - Kimberly Derting Wow. This book was um, pretty good. Really. I'm actually pretty much in surprise of how good it was.

The whole country of Ludania is very medieval style: hangings for rebels, cobblestone streets, rags vs. riches, a sort-of caste system, castles, etc. But everything about it is based on language. Outcasts don't speak, Servants speak only Englaise (wow, such imagination), Vendors can speak Parshon and Englaise, and the higher class speaks Termani and Englaise. Englaise is like the univeral language, but I'm assuming it's pretty low on the radar; most people speak their given languages. And then, of course, is the Royal language, and that's the language Charlie hasn't ever heard before. (It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.)

Charlie, however, can understand all languages. She's from the Vendor class, so she struggles to abide by the rules of her system. But one mistake and it could mean the death of her family, or something even worst: the secrets of her family being discovered.

I liked the world of Ludania. Even if the world-building was kind of bleh, the rest of it was left up to my imagination, so I pretty much filled in the blanks for Derting. But yeah. World-building was pretty bleh on Derting's part. It was like she was struggling to think of a dystopian idea so her book could get published with all the other dystopians these days.

Not cool, Derting.

NOT. COOL.

But despite that, I couldn't put the book down. If there's one thing I give credit to Derting for, it's the way she can keep her readers interested. Anyway.

The romance.

THE

ROMANCE.

You know, I am really getting tired of insta-love these days. Especially in YA. But I guess I just have to suck it up and live with it because it seems that authors love to include it in their books-- this one included.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't direct insta-love. But it was close to the cliche, cheesy, omg-you're-so-hot kind. The type where you meet in a club, he suddenly says "You're so beautiful" and then you end up running off because you're scared of him and his stalkerish qualities-- good, good. This is good. This is what a girl in her right mind would do.

EXCEPT.

YOU WANT TO MEET HIM AGAIN.

ASLDKJFOWIJEFASDJFOAIHSDFAKLSJDFOASIDFJ. WHYYYY. WHYYY DO YOU WANT TO MEET THE CREEPY, DARK, BEAUTIFUL STALKER?! WHY!?

You know, if I could, I would snatch all these heroines-who-fall-in-love-at-first-sight-and-follow-beautiful-boys-to-the-unknown out into the real world, and pay good-looking, sexy boys to take advantage of them. I mean, really. I am so fucking tired of this shit. THIS KIND OF STUFF DOESN'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE. YOU ARE MORE THAN LIKELY TO END UP DEAD/RAPED/TAKEN ADVANTAGED OF. I just GAHH. I need these authors to understand: READERS WHO WANT TO READ GOOD BOOKS DON'T FALL FOR THIS KIND OF POOP.

[cough cough]

Erm ... Okay. So.

World-building. Check.
Thoughts. Check.
Romance. Check.

Protagonist.

Charlie was a good one, actually. Except for her stupid feelings about Max, she was okay to read about. Sadly, thoughts Max dominated most of her thoughts so she ended up being kind of annoying in lots of ways ... And then one moment she's acting hard-to-get and then the next she's falling for him under this guy's charm WHOM SHE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT.

Well, the book itself was good. If you're a light reader or just starting out in the dystopian world, then yeah, this one's for you.

3.5