Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Dreamless - Josephine Angelini Dreamless, as a sequel, was great for the Starcrossed trilogy. It really was, despite the -1 star rating change I’ve done. But, even if it were possible, between the six months of January to July, my expectations of YA novels have certainly increased, and, to be put bluntly, changed. A whole lot. So while I thought back and nearly practically squealed at Starcrossed, now my feelings are around the surface of eh-ness.

Rest assured, the book was interesting—much more than I had a taste for it to be. At the beginning I was struck with Helen’s stupidity, at how childish she was and how she never exactly seemed to follow warnings. She was, as most heroines, kind of whiney and a bit annoying with her tears, but I tended to ignore them, no matter how aggravating they were.

Helen is the only one capable of physically descending into the Underworld, and does so every night, bearing through the pain and suffering it causes her. She’s supposed to go and try to free all descendants of the gods—her House, along with the others—from the Furies influence, adamant on believing she could do it, but not alone: and then her hero comes. Orion, another living person in the land of the dead that is able to transport himself into the Underworld at will. But as time runs out and enemies draw near, even Helen’s goal may just serve to prospering a war—a war that may as well kill every mortal off the planet. And she’s at the center of it.

Right, so of course we would have a love triangle. But that wasn’t my main problem here; actually, due to the fact that Lucas is her “cousin,” it may actually serve a great purpose. This trilogy, I think, would be great with two love interests, especially if one of them she can’t exactly be with. And I mean really can’t be with; as in I-can’t-because-I’m-your-family-and-this-is-called-incest be with.

Actually, the thing that bothered me was the striking parallels this book had with Twilight. I mean, I hadn’t noticed it before, but many of things in this novel are in Twilight, too. As in the whole family business—Adriadne and Jason, in place of Alice and Jasper; Alice being able to tell the future in Twilight, while Cassandra is the Oracle in Starcrossed; Noel and her husband are substituted for Carlisle and Esme; Hector and Rosaline are just like Jasper and Cassandra; and it’s just … the familiarity of the scenes and how the family acts around each other. The whole idea just reminds me of Twilight: a secret, supernatural family living on a small island trying to hide their powers and blend in.

I don’t know about you, but the whole ‘family’ and ‘small island’ thing itself just screams TWILIGHT RE-DO. ONLY MORE FANTABULOUS WITH GODS, GODDESSES, AND HIDDEN BEAUTY SO BEAUTIFUL IT WILL BLIND YOU. AND NOT WITH SPARKLES.

Did I also mention Lucas watches Helen sleep every night? Gosh, now I know that’s Twilight. I even remember it from the movie.

While Helen was seriously a crybaby and grating on my last nerves, she was … okay for a heroine. I mean, certainly nothing special: tears, moving on, thinking about the past, tears, tears, tears, ‘Oh, Lucas! I wish I could have you but I can’t!’, and then more tears. It just screams SOAP OPERA to me. But she’s also caught up in Orion’s web, which, I admit adamantly, that I like way more than Lucas; he was funny and cheerful, even when he developed feelings for Helen and knew he couldn’t have her because her heart was already taken. Whereas Lucas was all thunder-god and secrets and trying to act mysterious, a look that doesn’t work on him at all. It’s like watching kids wear their parents x2 sizes. It droops on their shoulders and it makes them look … well, weird.

The book, I think, was getting unreasonably long, and though I didn’t not look at it with contempt, the one thing I did enjoy about it was Jasper Jason and Claire’s romance—though it was definitely a bit forced and put together sloppily in the last novel, and didn’t much move forward here, it was cute to think about Claire and Jason. They do make a good couple, except that Jason has some serious anger and relationship issues. I kept getting bored with them too. Oh, the drama.

Helen redeems herself towards the endish, though most of the time she is put into the situation of a damsel-in-distress and has Lucas or Orion save her. Which sucks big time, since she has the power to shoot lightening—I would kill for that power; the first person to shoot may just be my sister—and would make a great, kick-ass heroine if she just shot that lightening at someone. But she’s almost always too drained and tired and “knows all she’ll be able to acquire is a spark of lightening.”

The conclusion: Way too familiar to Twilight that I would have liked. Helen isn’t the best heroine, but I like her sense of right and wrong (which is actually present in nearly every YA heroine, but …) Lucas really kind of pushed himself below the bar here for me; he was always angry and pissed and stormy. Orion was my favorite guy, and the guy I wished she’d end up with. The climax was great, and so was the villain, and I can’t wait to see what war we’ll be ending up with in the next novel. And how it’ll be solved.