Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo The world of Ravka is a very dangerous, fantastical world. The system of the Grisha is also very complex, and yet has this mythical and magical appeal to it, especially when you hear the name.

In this novel, Alina Starcov is a mapmaker. She's about to cross over the Fold, a dividing line between West and East Ravka, a place where darkness looms and creatures hunt on human blood. When her stiff is attacked and her best friend Mal is close to death, unconsciously she releases a power that changes the path of her life--and possibly the path of Ravka--forever.

The story line, actually, isn't anything much different from other high fantasy novels; it's actually very simple and yet has small twists and turns that you don't see coming. The plot is a pretty forward one, but it isn't necessarily boring--the outstanding details and stories of Ravka keep you going.

Alina is much like any other typical heroine--plainish, self-conscious, indecisive, etc. But there's something different about her that I liked--perhaps her snarkiness? Her ability to stand up for herself? Her weaknesses, her perfect flaws? I'm not sure. She's strong, but she's also ... weak, in a way.

When I first met Mal:

When I first met the Darkling:

I don't know about you, but I'm a sucker for tall, dark, and handsome. It seems as though the book is a love triangle, doesn't it? Take my word for it, it really isn't. In some ways, it seems like it, but Bardugo has created it in such a way that the story will work either way. I think this book's characters remind me a lot of those of SHATTER ME.

When I found out the truth about that person:

If there was one thing I didn't like, it was the ending. I just didn't like how the novel ended, but I can't really say anything without spoiling the book.

I didn't like how Alina and some-person ran off of Ravka. I thought that because of what happened that the country was in turmoil and needed help. So I thought that was sort of an "abandonment."

And on another note, I love the German cover. That grungy style is my favorite.