Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Divergent  - Veronica Roth There is no word to sum up this book for. Magnificent doesn't describe the emotions I felt; nor do any of the other words that relate to this. And I'm not even sure my review will be able to show what I felt throughout this novel - which was a lot. There were so many twists and turns, so much suspense with absolutely great timing, and the romance moved just exactly for my taste. It was like a chocolate fudge cake. And the climax in this novel? Icing on the cake.

As the day of Beatrice Prior's Choosing Ceremony nears, she must choose from one of the five predetermined districts as the place for the rest of her life, which means abandoning her family and all that she has learned. After many contemplating thoughts, she decides on the faction that will change her views, on both society and herself, forever.

This book wasn't perfect, but it was pretty darn close to it. There was this one problem that bugged me throughout the novel, just in the back of my mind, and it was When are we going to learn what happened to present day Chicago? Why did this city become like? but it never came. I guess since I'm always a curious fellow, I always want to know (in a dystopia book) why the place became the way it was. Was it because of war? Was it a peaceful segregation? Who decided this? How many years into the future is this? None of these questions were answered. All I know is that it's taken place in Chicago, and that the ruins from the previous world (our world) are still intact. Meaning that no one's bothered to fix them, and they look abandoned. (Referring to the Dauntless traditional game Beatrice and Four and her teammates played at; "...but it is a clean kind of emptiness. Whoever left these places left them by choice and at their leisure." [pag.139])

Also, there was this question that one of the characters, Will, asked on page 124: "Patrols for what purpose?"
I saw this as foreshadowing from the author on her part, but by the end of the book, I found that the question still remained a mystery. Why do Dauntless members patrol their area, and others? What are they guarding from? I hope that these little things I'm pointing out are answered by the next two books in this trilogy.

Let's see ... I was also a bit curious about the other cities in the U.S. What happened to New York, NY? Or Dallas, TX? Or Lexington, KY? Are they all divided and segregated like this? As of far, there are no mentions of any of these cities or their history. Hopefully as we delve deeper into the conspiring problems in this series, these questions will be answered.

Anyway, moving on.

Let me just say something about Tris (Beatrice) -- she is the most respected and revered heroine I've ever met, other than Gaia (but even she had her problems). She isn't weak and clingy, she doesn't flow into depression if the boy she likes ignores her after kissing her. She's strong and she doesn't back down without a fight. She's dauntless. She truly is.
At times I find her that she's the perfect heroine for a novel - she's not perfect, but no heroine is. They have their amount of problems and imperfections, and so does Tris, but here's where the difference between her and the other heroines stop: She has just the right amount of weaknesses. She's strong. She falters, but gets right back up. She's persevering, persisting, prepared, and distant. That's what makes her the best heroine I've ever seen: Because she has problems, but she finds ways to turn her problems into solutions. And that's really admirable.

Four -- What is so not to like about him? He's that dark, aloof, mysterious type of person that everyone (girl, anyway; and maybe even boys!) crave for. He's got dark hair, cerulean blue eyes -- which I was actually pretty disappointed for; I thought that since Tris was different from the stereotypical heroine so would Four, but I guess not -- lean, taunt muscles, and some killer smiles that would make you melt at your feet. In my imagination, anyway.

The love, I think, is genuine. And because of where they're from, I think that this contributes a lot to a deeper connection; they can understand each other instead of thinking "Oh, hell, I don't know why he/she is thinking, so maybe I should just say that it's all right!" Because that doesn't happen. When Tris has her downs, Four (and I like that name better than his real name) doesn't soothe or calm her down: He's someone with rough, coarse edges, and he doesn't sugarcoat truth. If it's bad, he'll tell her. If it's good, it'll be a celebration. That's just how their relationship works, and I think it's brilliant.

Also, I think that this book definitely deserves some applauding. Did it wow! me? Yes. Did I ever finish a chapter with an eery, creepy ending and bookmark it so I could feel the suspense (I'm a masochist, I swear) and wake up the next morning and grab Divergent to read first thing, even before breakfast? Yes. Did I starve myself for this book? Yes. Did I roll on the floor with the book propped upside down and roll around squealing at the Four x Tris moments? Yes. Did I scream OMG repetitively when a huge discovery happened? Yes, yes, and yes.

This book definitely goes in my favorites. I don't even know what I was thinking when I gave it a one star. I was crazy, I admit.

It had a few problems, mostly about the "becoming of this society" types of problems, but I'm just clinging to the hope that this will be answered. I find it really weird for such a "democratic" nation (notice the quotes) to switch to the type of government it is in this novel. Let's hope the questions are answered!

4.5/5