Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins I ... I am just speechless. It's been such a long time since I've read a book this good, and I don't want to ruin it with a review that cannot comprehend my feelings. I am literally just reeling from the surprises in this book, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

Let me start off saying that I hate boarding school novels. They feel so unoriginal and completely used up. My first type of novel was the House of Night series by P.C. Cast, and let me tell you, after reading those books I have been very picky as to what I should read regarding "boarding school" as the plotline. I remember checking out this book from the library two years ago in 2010, but when I read the synopsis I couldn't bring myself to read it, so I hadn't even given it a chance. Now, as to why I'm obviously late -- well, a lot of the reviews I was following labeled it as a 3/4/5 star, so I figured, 'Hey, maybe I should give boarding school a chance. It couldn't be as bad as Marked.'

And yes. I had definitely been right.

One things of the many I love about Sophie Mercer is that she is witty. Cleverly, intelligently witty. And sarcastic. And ironic. And so hilarious. She had me laughing by the end of the prologue! And I definitely shared some laughs much later in the book, too. And trust me on this: Only quite a few books actually make me laugh. Usually I giggle or chuckle or just smile, but there are those rare books that MAKE. ME. LAUGH.

This was one of them.

Anyway, Sophie Mercer is being sent to Hecate Hall (Hex Hall for short) for creating a love spell phenomena in her school, thus being a sort of "disciplinary" academy where she learns to control her powers and her history.

Let me also say this: Sophie is completely ignorant of her life. I mean, she doesn't know anything at all about what she's capable of, and for more often than not, I find myself rolling my eyes at her because of her stupidity. But then I think -- how could she have even known these things when everyone has kept it secret from her? And because of this I find myself cutting her some slack. But still, I think Rachel Hawkins went a little overboard with what Sophie did or didn't know. There were a lot of instances where it went like this:

Girl: You know that your hair is growing spiders?

Sophie: [looks confused, replies with witty remark] Well, yeah? You're a goose neck face with pimples. And what the hell are you talking about, anyway?

Girl: [eyes widen] You mean you really don't know?

Sophie: What? Know what?

Girl: [smirks] Haha, wow! You slept with a spider!

Sophie: [runs off crying] Nooooo! Y U KEEP SO MANY SECRETS?!

-____- Right, so, um, yeah. Haha. L-O-L.

The things that really earned this novel a five star is the twists. I honestly had not expected them, not at all. With this murder mystery presented throughout the novel, the main suspect was Jenna, Sophie's roommate and true friend (whom I loved as a supporting character.) And as goes the stereotypical plotline, the main suspect everyone suspects is not the one who actually did it. But the one who I found out who did do it was definitely a shocker. Nor had I expected one of Sophie's mentor to be anything more than just a teacher. But ooooh ... he/she was so much more. Definitely. And though I had my suspicions, I couldn't plug them in with the book I guess, so I was really quite surprised with the twist.

Another thing I didn't like was the climax. I thought that the character that was battled against could've served as the main antagonist throughout the whole series, but maybe Rachel Hawkins had something different in mind. Which I totally respect if she does, since mine was just a suggestion.

4.7/5