Hermione

Dreamfever
Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee update: Damn, imma have to reread this again!

I don't think I can find a gif to sum up all that I'm thinking right about now. But this one comes pretty close.

I'm a constant swirl, mess, octagon, pentagon, polygon of emotion. I can't get anything straight. I can't see anything straight. I'm like a blind man stumbling through the inner darkness of my eyes. I'm like a mother who's just lost her child. I'm like a hyperventilating fish without water. I'm screaming, crying, pulling my hair out, retching, stabbing, biting, and chewing on my nails. How can the book end like that? Why did the book end like that?

What the hell am I going to do with my life now?

Angelfall is such a refreshing read. For a self-published book, it surpasses everything else by tri-fold. I'm amazed at the ability Ee has captured me with, into her story. I'm flabbergasted that I actually enjoyed a self-published book. (I have nothing against them, just that most indie authors' books aren't exactly the best ...)

You see, Ee has managed to incorporate my least favorite subject in the paranormal genre and combine it with my most favorite genre-- An Angelic Apocalypse. oxymoron much? Wow. Just ... wow.

When I first picked up Angelfall, I'd already read all the raving reviews on it. I jumped on the bandwagon. I wondered what the big deal was. Time out: I know exactly what the big deal was. /Time in/ So I bought the Kindle edition for $2.99, but I was pretty apprehensive: Most of the time when I jump on the bandwagon, I don't like the books. I always wonder what the big deal is. I don't enjoy them, just I didn't with Twilight or, at first, with Divergent. I guess it's just that everybody is reading it and it sort off takes off the effect of a book, you know? Okay, you don't know. Moving on.

World-building

Again, for an indie author, the world-building was great. Angels and then the Wrath of God and the Apocalypse. It seems very religious, knowing that angels are the ones to destroy the world, but it's actually pretty much not. Religion in a YA story, I think, just makes it completely lose its effect unless dealt with right. But in Angelfall, this takes place in the World After, where everything is abased to rubble. Angels freely rule the world. Humans cower in free. There are shortage of supplies, food, and shelter. This is a book about survival. I'm getting off topic here .__.

Characters

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE PENRYN. This gal is amazing. She has her priorities straight. She isn't going to get off track by a guy's beauty, or decide to save Raffe instead of the original goal of saving her sister.

HER. SISTER. COMES. FIRST.

That's what I like about her so much. In many, many, many YA novels, the heroine is struck by how handsome someone is and then gets off track and starts imagining wedding bells. Penryn is all I could ask for in a herone: strong, fierce, loyal, stubborn, eyes straight on the prize. She doesn't hinder from her path. And if she does, she gets right back on track. She doesn't let anyone strike her down.

That is what a heroine is.

Not someone who marvels at others' beauty. Not someone who falls in love with a guy in three days' time. Not someone who has the love interest in her mind all the time. Not someone who wallows in despair after being rejected.

So any YA authors trying to make a good heroine? Follow Penryn's example. (But don't make yours like her! That will be so unoriginal.)

RAFFE!!!!

This ... This boy. GAHHZ. I think he may be the best fictional male character I've ever encountered. He's just so perfect and well-rounded and just ... indescribable for words.

What can I say? He's like an angel. See what I did there? 8D

Romance.

ALSDIKJFIOEJFALSKJDFKLASDJF.

BEST
ROMANCE
OF
MY
LIFE.

I DO NOT KID YOU. I AM FO SHIZZLES. IF YOU FIND ONE OUNCE OF MY LIE IN MY SOUL YOU CAN PUT IT TO THE STAKE.

but this is the best. I've never read anything like it and finally, finally after 99 years of waiting I've found it: a romance that isn't a romance and yet is a romance that takes place over the course of ~three days that doesn't have the main characters proclaiming their love to each other by the end of the book.

This is heavenly. I'm in heaven.

Originality.

I think I can pretty much just use a few words to describe this part.

Penryn is in a fight with a guy much beefier than her. Does Raffe come to help?

LOL NOPE. HE MAKES A BET.

In the beginning in the book Raffe is injured, does she try to help him?

LOL NOPE. SHE SLAPS HIM.

When Raffe "rejects" her, does Penryn get all sad and mopey and decide to leave to wallow in despair?

LOL NOPE. SHE GOES STRAIGHT TOWARD HIM.

Gahhz, I hate this review. But book 2 can't come fast enough. ;__;