Hermione

Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Blackmoore - Julianne Donaldson
"I wonder what you will do with your wings once you have found them. I wonder how far away they will take you. And I fear them, for my sake, at the same time that I hope for them, for yours."

infinite stars. How is it possible, that among millions of books ever published, I have found the one that butchers my heart? Stabs my chest? Takes out my lungs? And pieces my broken self back together again with skillful, deft fingers, leaving no crevice unfilled, and no crater unfulfilled?

Okay, you may be thinking I'm being melodramatic.

And were this another instance I'd say yes, you are completely, positively, miserably right.

But this is Blackmoore I'm talking about, about a young lady named Kate Worthington who desires with all her heart the freedom to come out of her restrictive cage, to explore everything the world has to offer her, and so in this case, I am going to say you are wrong.

I read Blackmoore weeks ago, and still the love of Kate and Henry leave a haunting impression on my mind. How can we connect with a character? How can we feel their love, their emotions, their anguish? These are questions that an author has to accomplish, to connect the mind of a reader and the voice of the writer. Julianne Donaldson may be The Best Historical Romantic Fluff Writer — as I've officially dubbed her — but be aware: If Julianne Donaldson decides to write a tragedy, she will butcher us all. She is that good.

I felt the anguish of Kate's restrictiveness, the hate for her mother, the hopelessness of her fear of never reaching freedom. I felt Henry's struggle, to balance what the girl he loves wants for herself, rather than keeping her with him and taking what is rightfully his — Blackmoore. I felt the incredible, deep longing these two characters had for each other, despite their differences and the disapproval around them all.

In the end, I read Blackmoore in four hours, but those will be the most controversial, fickle, and capricious four hours of my life. How can I go from elated to depressed to anguished to ecstatic to heartbrokenly broken and delighted in as little as four hours? I don't know, but I achieved it. And no one will regret ever picking up this book. Well done, Donaldson. Yet another amazing book.

An ARC of this book was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Quote taken from ARC. Subject to change.