Hermione

Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
The Iron Knight - Julie Kagawa
"My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl."

For the record: there are probably no words, no gifs, no alskdjflaksjdfkjsd to describe how much this book was the perfect, most brilliant, amazing ending to the Iron Fey series. But I'll try.

Nope. No words.

But there's also the fact that leaving The Iron Knight reviewless and only a merely, generic five stars in its place that seems a bit heartless, and therefore, here I am, attempting a review. Keyword: attempting.

To get you started, this is how I felt internally when I closed the back cover to the Iron Fey series:

.... Buuuut since it was about 2 AM and my whole house was sleeping and if I started wailing in the middle of the night I'd probably get spanked and laughed at, I was more or less like this externally:

And continued to walk around in a zombie-like space for the remainder of the ... morning? night.

The Iron Knight follows the story of tragic hero Ash, whose love of his life is now the Iron Queen. Desperate and determined to be with Meghan, he travels with his trusty comrades Robin Goodfellow and Grimalkin (and Wolf and Ariella .. but more on that later) to what leads them to the End of the World and into the River of Dreams, in which Ash must complete three, impossible tasks garnered on three different concepts to achieve a soul: strength, conscious, and mortality.

Okay.
◦ The test of strength is, in retrospect, probably the easier concept to accept and understand. In short: (≠ means "will no longer apply")

Human ≠ Faerie ≠ Glamour ≠ Inhumanely Fast = Will not be as fast/dangerous/lethal as before

And I admit, Ash being no longer able to draw glamour towards himself in a fight was hard to comprehend. I mean, in a fight, the faerie strength is what makes Ash Ash. And to have that taken away ... it was defo bittersweet.

◦ The test of a conscious, oh dear ... this ... this was very hard. Not only did it test your boundaries for your love for Ash, but Ash cried.

ASH

CRIED.

CRIED!

The fact that he broke down made me break down and — I swear I felt like this — if it were fundamentally possible, I would've gladly offered up my life force for Ash to be appeased and lead a life with Meghan.

◦ The test of mortality was the hardest concept for me to merely accept. I couldn't. In the preview, fast forwarding to a life with Meghan, where Ash grows old while everyone else around him appears young and healthy as ever before?

NO. NU UH. I mean, okay yes — mortality is better than not having a life with Meghan and their kid, Kierran, at all, I agree. BUT ASH CANNOT GROW OLD! AFTER WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH? I mean, come on, Kagawa!

So, I was so totally, irrevocably relieved when Ash somehow still retained his glamour. YOU CANNOT IMAGINE MY JOY.

Moving onto other points:

◦ I didn't expect Ariella. Did you? DID YOU? I did not. I totally did not even think about Ariella.

◦ Man, while I am still The Biggest Fan Ever of Ash, Puck will always be the king of my heart. I love his sense of humor, his sense of righteousness, and most of all, his love for both Ash and Meghan. He is just ... ♥ I hope he's happy, but can you seriously imagine him as someone other than a bachelor? I can't. (And the scene where Ash and Puck part ways? HEARTBREAKING. FCKING HEARTBREAKING.)

◦ Okay, so Grimalkin obviously has some boredom issues, but it's fairly obvious that he hold some sort of affection for Ash and Meghan. (Puck I'm not sure about, lol.) I love this cait sith. He's helped them so much on their journey and deserves a fcking round of applause.

Because, after all, he is a cat.

And the last part of my review includes some of my most favorite quotes ... EVER.

"I have come from the End of the World.... From the River of Dreams, through the gauntlet and the Briar and the Deep Wyld, in order to stand before you today. I have but one request — to take my place at your side. To resume my duty as your knight, and to protect you and your kingdom for as long as I draw breath."

"... it means putting up with my fiercest and most annoying rival, Robin Goodfellow, who - despite all his attempts to hide it - is in love with my queen as well. I don't know why I haven't killed him yet. Maybe because Puck is Meghan's closest friend and she would mourn him terribly if he were gone (though I can't imagine why)."

“Geez, you guys. I know I'm popular and all, but seriously, you're a bit too co-dependent for me. I'm going to need you to step away from my personal bubble." A wispy vine-woman curled ivy tendrils around his arm, and he sliced through them with his dagger. "No! Bad Wraith! No touchie!”

And God knows there were so many others. But all in all, The Iron Knight is a finale to a series I will never, ever forget. Thank you for an amazing journey, Julie Kagawa. Meghan, Ash, Puck, and Grimalkin will be in my heart for years to come. ♥