Hermione

Karen Marie Moning
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Shelley Coriell
Unbreakable - Elizabeth Norris 4 stars. UGHHHHHHH

update: Okay, hold the fcking train — no one told me Unraveling and Unbreakable were the only two books in this series! WHAT! NO! BLASPHEMY! I DEMAND A THIRD BOOK! I DEMAND IT! How is this fcking possible? HOW??

UGHHHHH

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

^ Those are my tears. My stupid, long, can't-stop-crying tears.

But I should probably start from the beginning, shouldn't I?

What Happened:

◦ After four long months since Janelle's seen Ben, her world has turned into a post-apocalyptic environment. She helps however she can, working with the FBI, but suddenly a new problem arises — people are missing. And then when Taylor Barclay, the loyal agent from the Interverse Travel Agency arrives on Janelle's doorstep, she knows there's something much more worse at play than just a few "missing people" — and it can only be up to them to stop it.

The Characters:

◦ Oh, man, oh man. How did I end up rating Unraveling three stars? Do I have to re-read it? Or is Unbreakable just x100 times better than its prequel? Because whatever happened, I loved Janelle's character. She was cynical, she was badass, but most of all, she was focused and determined to meet her goal. She didn't get sidetracked by her feelings for Ben, which I loved. It made the story and mystery and countdown that much more exciting.

◦ I think my favorite character, even through Unraveling was probably douchebag Agent Taylor Barclay. And even through this, where we see different sides to him, only to see him fcking die in the end, Barclay was a funny, dry, gruff character who never failed to make me smirk or laugh or just — I don't know, enjoy the book. There were some sneaking suspicions about the fate of this lovely character, but I either a) refused to believe it or b) didn't make sense to me. SO IMAGINE MY ANGER AND SADNESS AND GRIEF AND SURPRISE WHEN HE FCKING DIED SAVING JANELLE. URG NO. NO. NOOOOOO.

Ben is probably my least favorite character. I don't all that care for him, and I don't see his personality as developed enough, seeing as he was a stoner-biker-leather-jacket-but-secretly-smart guy in the first book, and was barely here throughout the second to broach on his personality. So as of now, I'm feeling particularly nothing towards Ben — which, in a way, means I'm feeling essentially nothing towards Ben x Janelle. (Though I love Janelle's character.) I don't care what any of you guys say, Janelle x Barclay is my favorite couple here. I DON'T CARE.

The Plot:

◦ As with the first book, if there's one thing Elizabeth Norris excels at, it's her plotting skills. There was straight action throughout the book, with Janelle and Barclay (along with other characters, each in their respective time) either on the run or invading the secret trafficking society's headquarters. All the shooting and action and everything sounded amazing — in my mind, at least.

The Ending:

◦ Still stuck on that thing. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT NORRIS. YOU BETTER BUILD A MONUMENT IN YOUR ROOM. I know I will.

The Conclusion:

◦ A much more fast-paced sequel than its prequel. Lovely characters, lovely plot, lovely conflict, with an all in all, great book and sequel to the Unraveling series.

*goes back to crying*